The roof is one of the most critical parts of the home which is why it’s important to have a roofing contractor you trust. Poor roof maintenance can lead to extensive water damage, harm the foundation, and significantly reduce the overall value of a home.
While roof maintenance is an essential task for every home, roofs may require replacement in some instances. The lifespan of a roof depends on the type of roof, how well it’s maintained, the weather it regularly endures, and its current condition. Even so, there comes a time when it may be necessary to consider replacing a roof. Here is everything homeowners should consider before deciding.
Tips from a Roofing Contractor in Raleigh, NC: Replacing a Roof
How Long Do Roofs Last?
How long a roof lasts depends on several factors but most importantly is the roofing material used.
- Asphalt Shingles: 15 to 20 years, but architectural asphalt shingle roofs can last an additional ten years.
- Clay/Cement Tile Roofing: 50 to 100 years but requires extra-sturdy roofing reinforcements due to weight.
- Slate Roofing: +100 years, slate roofs are the most durable option.
- Wood Shingles: 25 to 30 years but can last up to 50 years with regular maintenance. However, wood shingles are more susceptible to fire and water damage.
- Wood Shakes: 35 to 40 years but requires regular maintenance and is more durable than wood shingles.
- Metal Roofing: 50 to 100 but greatly varies on metal type. For example, metals like steel or aluminum will usually need replacing after 50 years, but zinc and copper roofs can last over 100 years with proper maintenance.
Additional Factors That Affect a Roof’s Lifespan
Aside from the material used, maintenance and weather are two crucial factors a roofing contractor will use when determining the average lifespan. Therefore, a professional roofing contractor should make regular roof inspections every 1-2 years.
For instance, wet weather can lead to mold and cracks in wooden roofs and erode protective sealants from all roofs over time. Further, shingle roofs may lose shingles during windy conditions due to debris, nearby trees, and weather events like hail.
Signs a Roof Replacement is Necessary
While most roofs will last +25 years, there are several reasons a roof would need to be replaced sooner.
- Leaks & Holes: Holes and leaks will let in moisture, water, sunlight, animals, and other unwanted objects that can ruin the roof’s structural integrity.
- Moisture & Water Damage: Stains, mold, and other water damage can soak into the insulation and rot away a home’s infrastructure. Look for decay, sagging, or discoloration.
- Surface Damage: Any visible damage like missing shingles, rot, cracks, or something similar can rapidly deteriorate roofs. Hail can also cause surface damage.
When Should Roofs Be Replaced?
The most fortunate homeowners will not need to replace or repair a roof more than once during ownership. However, more fragile roof structures like shingles or wooden roofs may need more annual maintenance and repairs from a roofing contractor.
Is your roof looking a bit sad? Odyssey Contracting can help. Our roof installation experts will inspect your roof and recommend the best roof for your home and budget. For the best roofing contractor in Raleigh, NC, contact Odyssey Contracting at 919-916-5640. Don’t forget to follow us on social media for our latest deals and specials & events!