Many people think about how to enjoy their summer and being outdoors is at the top of the list. Having a deck is one of the best options for a homeowner to enjoy summer entertaining. Odyssey Contracting, a deck construction company in Garner, NC, is here to help you with items to consider regarding whether to build or repair a deck you need for your summer.
Most decks have space for a grill, table, and chairs. But a others can include a sitting area, a couch, a hammock, or even a hot tub. Sitting outside the house allows you to enjoy mother nature and enhance your mood. This article discusses factors to keep in mind while deciding about your needs.
If you have never had a deck, it is best to hire an experienced construction company that can guide you through the process. For example, it is good to know that even a small 10×10 ft can be a perfect outdoor entertainment space. In addition, the approximate budget to build such a deck is around $2,500.
If you have a flat area in your backyard, you can create an inexpensive floating deck using recycled pallets. You first must waterproof the pallets and then arrange them in the desired configuration. Now, attach your decking on top and the sides. Remember that your floating deck needs to be inspected regularly and waterproofing reapplied when required.
On the lower end of the budget is pressure-treated lumber. Lumber does require ongoing maintenance – staining and waterproofing. If the budget is not a concern, go with composite materials – they last longer and require less maintenance over the deck’s lifespan – just occasional pressure washing. Composite wood is the best choice if you plan to live in your home for numerous years. Even if you use the least expensive material, the resulting deck will still raise the value of your house when you sell it.
You can upgrade your deck by including or adding a roof, pergola, or shade canopy. A covering protects from the sun and rain, allowing the deck to be used more. In addition, some covers can have curtains that repel mosquitoes, flies, bees, etc. Although covers can add to the price of your deck, they also protect it from the elements and weathering. Here are some cover options available:
- Umbrella: This is the cheapest option and most straightforward to add. Most home improvement stores and big-box stores sell patio umbrellas during the summer. They come in all price ranges.
- Awning: There are fixed or retractable awnings that you can fold/unfold. These work for decks attached to the house.
- Shade Sail: Sails are large pieces of outdoor fabric that create shade while stretched over the deck. The sails must be anchored to a building, tree, or pole.
- Pergola: Pergolas are simple columns with an open beam ceiling. Though unable to protect you from the rain, the roof can be covered with fabric for a nice shady spot. Another option is to use the pergola as an arbor and grow climbing plants over the top, creating shade.
- Roof Extension: This option is the most expensive. It provides a permanent covering that enhances the aesthetic of your deck.
Are you ready to add an outdoor entertainment space this summer? Odyssey Contracting, a deck construction company in Garner, NC can help. We can help design and build a deck that meets your needs and budget. Contact us today at 919-916-5640, and you’ll enjoy your new deck soon. Don’t forget to follow us on social media for our latest deals and specials & events!